Earlier this week I escaped the miserable weather and food of the Netherlands to spend a couple of days in Barcelona, where I attended the ‘Playful Design for Smart Cities’ workshop at RMIT Europe.
I helped Jussi Holopainen run a workshop in which participants from industry, government and academia together defined projects aimed at further exploring this idea of playful design within the context of smart cities, without falling into the trap of solutionism.
Before the workshop I presented a summary of my chapter in The Gameful World, along with some of my current thinking on it. There were also great talks by Judith Ackermann, Florian ‘Floyd’ Müller, and Gilly Karjevsky and Sebastian Quack.
Below are the slides for my talk and links to all the articles, books and examples I explicitly and implicitly referenced throughout.
- Carve. Play Landscape Be-Mine.
- L. David Thomas. Fun House: Ludus Loci and the American Home as Folly.
- Constant Nieuwenhuys. New Babylon.
- Cedric Price. Fun Palace.
- Ron Herron / Archigram. Walking City.
- Steffen P. Walz. Toward A Ludic Architecture: The Space of Play and Games.
- James C. Scott. Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed.
- Jane Jacobs. The Death and Life of Great American Cities.
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder.
- Stewart Brand. How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They’re Built.
- Dan Hill. Dark Matter and Trojan Horses: A Strategic Design Vocabulary.
- Venkatesh Rao. Breaking Smart.
- Pokémon Go.
- Erik Burke and Lynn Maharas. Pieces of Berlin.
- Jane McGonigal and Ian Bogost. Cruel 2 B Kind.
- Graffiti Research Lab. L.A.S.E.R. Tag.
- Culture jamming.
- Street art.
- James Rojas. Place It!
- Irwan Ahmett and Tita Salina. Monorail Slalom.
- Supertree Grove.
- Buckminster Fuller. “Call Me Trim Tab.”
- The Fun Theory. Piano Staircase.
- Feargus O’Sullivan. The Problem With ‘Playable’ Cities.
- Hubbub. Camparc.
- Hubbub. Standing.
- Hubbub. Playful Devices Improv.
- DUS Architects. 3D Print Canal House.
- Foundation Projects. Straatlokaal.
- Pelle Brage / Perfume. The Harbor Laboratory.
- Hubbub. New Planning Methods.