First of all: happy new year to those I haven’t yet met in person! I’ll kick off the year with a blog tag post (thanks Peter). Never one to pass up a meme1, I’ll tell you five things you might not know about me (this could get embarrassing).
- I enjoy playing roleplaying games (the old school pen & paper variety) and have been doing it on and off since puberty. Like many I started out with D&D, CoC and Vampire. The past few year’s I’ve been playing a lot of indie RPGs. Playing these games (and some SNES classics) might have gotten me interested in interaction and game design… The best indie game I’ve played so far? Dogs in the Vineyard.
- In my graduation year at the Utrecht School of Arts I spent three months doing research, writing a thesis and teaching at a media lab in Costa Rica. Not only did that fire my appetite for travelling to tropical locales, but it also made me determined to start working in the internet industry. One of the research prototypes I came up with was a Flickr-like prototype. I might throw that back up on-line sometime this year.
- I like to cook (although my old-style electrical stove is giving me headaches, gotta get that kitchen refitted). My favourite foods are Italian (my parent’s fault), Japanese (got started on that because of the martial art I practice) and Indonesian (although my girlfriend is best at cooking that).
- I’m a horror aficionado, watching scary horror films is a guilty pleasure of mine. The best horror flick I saw last year? That must have been The Descent.
- Recently I’ve started having an interest in wine, this must be the definite turning point for me becoming a snob. I have yet to develop any real taste and have a hard time describing what my mouth tells me (does that sound obscene?) I do seem to prefer heavy Italian wines (such as Nero d’Avola). Matt Skinner has been a good help.
Now to tag five others… I guess I’ll bother Edgar, Tom, Iskander, Alper and Almar with this silly meme. Sorry guys!
1 Even though it’s been raging since January last year and reached two peaks: first around July and second in December (thanks Technorati)!
3 thoughts on “I’ve been blog tagged”
Thanks for playing! :-)
I think I heard you mention RPGs once, and I was quickly reminded of the couple of nights I spent in my then-girlfriend’s house, watching her play what I think was a Star Wars themed game with some friends. I suppose I’d be an okay game-master if I wanted to, but the players would need to be very good friends as well as decent actors/comedians… Fat chance, I guess ;-)
Did you develop the Flickr-like prototype without knowing it existed, or was this before Flickr became what it is now and was still called Game Neverending?
And cheers on the food and wine addictions! I look forward to preparing food and selecting the wines for our colleagues next month!
(Oh, the last link to Technorati doesn’t seem to work…)
Peter, thanks for tagging me (I think). Actually to play a decent game, you wouldn’t need good actors or comedians, you’ll find it comes quite naturally. It does help if the players are friends. A lot really.
The prototype is better described as a Flickr avant la letre (although Flickr was and is of course many times more advanced). Basically it was a photoblog tool that included tagging amongst others.
By the way, I fixed the link to the Technorati chart.
Comments are closed.